Welcome to the Yorkie Poo Guide - Enjoy Your Visit
Yorkie Poo Guide
A Yorkie Poo puppy playing

Welcome to our Yorkie Poo Website

We hope that you find our information about this popular breed useful

The Yorkie Poo, it would seem, tends to generate confusion over its spelling and is known by many other names such as a yorkiedoodle or yorkipoo. The most popular usage though is Yorkie Poo so we will use that throughout this site to save confusion.

What is a Yorkie Poo?

The Yorkie Poo is essentially a cross bred dog and can bred in several different ways, the most popular and healthy of which is a 50/50 cross breeding between a Poodle and a Yorkshire Terrier (hence the name it is sometimes called, a yorkiedoodle). The appearance of each pup bred in this way can differ with some of them producing the long hair of a Yorkshire Terrier and others producing the curly hair of the poodle. Its ears too will depend on which parent has the dominant gene and may stick up like those of a Yorkshire Terrier or droop down like those of a poodle. The dogs when fully grown are likely to be between 6 and 9 inches in height. This first generation is the healthiest method so which look you choose will be down to your own personal preference.

There are a number of different methods used by breeders to breed this dog. You should always check which method has been used before deciding on the dog that you want.


F1 - This is a dog bred from a 50/50 mixture of Poodle and Yorkshire Terrier. This is a first generational cross breeding and is the one most likely to produce the healthiest pups. It is also likely to be the most expensive to buy.

F1-B - This is a cross of 75% Yorkshire Terrier and the remaining 25% Poodle i.e., where a Yorkie Poo has been cross bred with a Yorkie Terrier. This breed is sometimes also referred to as a Yo Yopoo. The same method can also be used to produce a breed from mixed parentage of a Yorkie Poo mixed with a Yorkshire Terrier

F2 - This is where an F1 Yorkie Poo is bred with a Yorkshire Terrier

and finally

F3 - Where the pup produced is a mixture of an F1 and F2. As you would expect, although this generation of pup can be very cute, it is likely to suffer from more health problems than an F1 bred one.

Health of the Breed

Depending on the method of breeding that has been used, the breed is likely to be hypoallergenic, making it an ideal pet in a home where there are allergy sufferers.

The dog itself is a relatively healthy breed although like most dogs, it does have its health weaknesses and may suffer from epilepsy as well as several other problems such as Legg-Calve-Perthes disease.

Weighing between 3 and 15 lbs, the Yorkie Poo is one of the smaller dogs around and it is this aspect that appeals to many of their owners. As with most smaller dogs, they should have a decent life span and most will survive for between 12 to 15 years although this will depend on several factors of course such as its diet.

Social Aspects of the Breed

If you already have a dog in your household, you will hopefully find that your Yorkie Poo is likely to adapt well. Generally speaking, it is likely to get on well with other dogs, although, as we all well know, dogs are like humans and have different characteristics, so nothing is certain.

This breed, and especially whilst they are puppies, can have a tendency to be hyperactive so unless you are prepared for this, it is best to consider whether you can cope with it. Of course, it is also this factor which gives them much of their appeal as they are very playful and great fun to have around. They do however, need to be entertained and stimulated as they will get bored easily and it is then when you may find your cushions being chewed. Whilst they are a social creature, like all dogs they can bite if they feel threatened so bear this in mind if you have children around in your home.

Caring for your Dog

Like all dogs, the Yorkie Poo demands a level of grooming, however, being a small dog, this should not be too much of a task for anyone and all that is usually required is that they are brushed at least once a week and bathed when necessary. This may of course need to be more often if you live on a farm for example where the dog plays outside a lot. Whilst they do need exercise, their size means that there is no need to have a large yard or garden for them to exercise in. They will get sufficient from running around your home so you may want to ensure that valuable ornaments etc are placed safely out of the way as they tear around the house.

Read Kelly Dunlop's Experince of owning a Yorkie Poo as a pet here